- Folders aren’t evil.
- Next time someone asks you
“What have folders ever done for us?”
you can say…
Nothing… Other than default column values; security boundaries; grouping files together in Windows Explorer and OneDrive Sync; document sets; and being the most natural way to put related files together.
- It’s just that metadata is usually better.
About SharePoint Thing-a-Day
SharePoint Thing-a-Day is a series of short, informative videos on SharePoint, SharePoint Online and Office 365, written and presented by Joel Jeffery, Director of JFDI’s SharePoint Consultancy Practice.
We hope you find them informative and maybe even inspiring.
More SP Things:
- SharePoint Thing-A-Day #001 – Governance. Avoid death by fileshare.
- SharePoint Thing-A-Day #002 – Don’t stifle innovation.
- SharePoint Thing-A-Day #003 – Information Architecture. Folders are evil.
- SharePoint Thing-A-Day #005 – Information Architecture – Metadata.
- SharePoint Thing-A-Day #006 – Information Architecture – Site Columns.
- SharePoint Thing-A-Day #007 – Information Architecture – Content Types.
The Administrator keeps the web site going, and does an invaluable job.